Wednesday, April 27, 2011

2 weeks old. 34 years old.


Today Henry is two weeks old and I happen to be celebrating my 34th birthday.

Birthdays are curious things. Some people hate them. Some love to celebrate them. I haven't hit the age yet where I dread the next one, but I can't say that I am filled with excitement over a coming birthday as I once was in my younger years. This birthday, however, I did do some celebrating. I celebrated the kindness of God to prolong my life, to give me two more children, to bless my mouth with words that can be spoken, to move me close to my family, to place me in a church where I can serve Him. There were days in years past that looked dark and without hope; but God, in His great sovereign plan, chose to give me more years of joy on this earth. And this birthday caused me to think about that and to celebrate that I turned another year older. Only God knows what the next five years will bring, but I can take great happiness in the fact that He gave me these past five when I don't deserve them any more than the next guy down the street. How kind He is to show mercy to me by giving me life and then to bless me greatly, beyond what I could have hoped for.

2 comments:

Lauren Kooistra said...

I love this beautiful little reflection on the gift of you!

Laura said...

I am a little behind in my blog reading, but just wanted to say that we are also lifting up praises that the Lord has given you these last 34 years. He is good! We pray that you will have a long life with your precious family and with us (even if most of it is from a long distance).