Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Henry Jeffrey van Bastelaar

About a month ago, I started to think about the ideal date for baby boy to be born.  As I thought it through, I decided that the Wednesday before Joost's spring break started would work out perfectly.  It would mean that I would be discharged from the hospital on the afternoon that began his break from school.  It would be so nice to start life with the baby on a schedule that had no 6:30 wake up calls to get him out the door, no running around for other normally scheduled activities and lessons.  But, I realized, just because my other three children came early there was no guarantee that this little man would as well. The hope of him coming on that exact day (9 days early) was pretty slim.


But, here we are.  It's April 13th, the Wednesday I hoped for, and the little man has decided to come.  His listening skills are better than most males I know.

Here's what happened...

Monday night:  6 hours of contractions that ended in nothing. 

Tuesday evening:  Contractions started again.  But, since nothing came of them the night before, I assumed that these would be the same.  But, as I bathed the children, my water broke.  My OB decided it was best that I come to the hospital.  I was only 6 cm dilated at that point (which was a surprise to me since the trend with the other 3 pregnancies was being 9 or 10 cm dilated before going into labor). It was a long night of mild, random contractions.  Finally, around 5 am Wednesday morning, my contractions launched into full gear ending in the birth of our beautiful son at 6:34 am. 


Henry Jeffrey van Bastelaar was born this morning.  He weighs 8 pounds, 11 ounces and is 20 1/4 inches long.  He's almost a full pound heavier than Joost and Kate who weighed in at 7 pounds, 12 ounces.

minutes after birth


A weary, but happy mother


Henry snuggled in and asleep in our hospital room.

Proud Daddy

Our first picture of us as a family of six


Joost and Henry

Grace and Henry

Kate and Henry





Henry had many visitors his first day--family and pastors were excited to meet him.

Henry and his Grandma Bosworth



Henry and his Grandpa Bosworth




Henry with Uncle Andrew & Aunt Rachel
(his cousin is due in just a few weeks)

2 comments:

Sara and Sebastien said...

Yay! You have such a beautiful family! And did I mention that I love the name Henry!?! I will be praying for you all as you adjust to being a family of six.

Tesha said...

Congratulations!! I hope you are adjusting to your new normal! What a sweet blessing!