Monday, October 11, 2010

Even we have princesses

I know that everyone has pictures of their daughters in princess attire.  In a house with two girls, you would think that was a daily occurrence.  Not in ours.  Let me tell you how things work in our house.  Grace, besides her love for the colors pink and purple and pretty shoes, would be just fine playing in a house of boys and their toys.  She's very content building Lego castles with Joost.  She's up for a game of baseball in the backyard whenever it's offered.  She builds forts, wields swords and can imitate a scary dragon.  But, when gift list time comes, don't you dare put a doll on that list.  That doll will never be cuddled or even noticed.

But, today, we were thinking through Halloween costumes.  I have a great lack of inspiration for making costumes this year, so I suggested she try on her new princess dress that she received as a birthday gift.  Once on, I suggested she wear the hennin that Jeff and I bought her while in England.  She refused (not surprisingly since we bought the hat in 2007 and it's not been used yet), but when Kate saw the hat, her little eyes lit up.  She ran over and I tied it on--fully expecting it to be pushed off.  Not so.  In fact, I could tell she was hoping to wear a princess dress, as well.  And thus the picture.

Certain grandmothers are happy that there is now a granddaughter who will enjoy putting dolls on her gift list.