Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Carpodacus mexicanus or the house finch




House finches are natives of the American West, but were introduced in New York City in the 1940's. Since that time, eastern birds have spread throughout the eastern half of the country, while western populations have also expanded. The House Finch, like the House Sparrow, is well adapted to living with humans and has taken advantage of their presence rather than suffering because of it. Today the House Finch can be found throughout the country.



And one of those finch couples decided to take up residence with us. I really enjoy birds, especially the common ones that visit our yard daily--like the sparrows, cardinals and finches. So it is especially exciting to have a sweet little finch nest built in the fern hanging on our porch.

I really want to capture a picture of the male finch, but since starting my picture snapping frenzy of this tiny bird family, he has not shown his face or his lovely red head. I could kick myself because just a week ago (I guess while nest building) I saw both the male and female finch regularly swinging on the string of lights or poking their heads in and out of the fern. It wasn't until I discovered the nest that I thought to pull out my camera. A day late and a dollar short, I guess.

No comments: