Wednesday, October 31, 2007

California Company

This week, Jeff's cousin, Chad, and his wife, Michelle, are visiting from California. They are staying in Doylestown with the majority of Jeff's family for most of the week, but we were glad to be able to have them in Harrisburg with us yesterday.
Jeff was unable to take a full day off to be with them, so I started the tour of Harrisburg for them early in the afternoon. Our first stop was at our beautiful state capitol building--which is a must-see for anyone visiting Harrisburg. It is one of the most beautiful capitol buildings in the United States (not just my opinion).

A funny thing happened to us while we were looking around inside. We were on the second floor and I was trying to get a picture of the Rotunda and Chad, Michele and the kids. While I was setting them up, an older woman came over and said, "Well, I guess you'll want me in the picture." Trying to be polite, I said, "Of course!" and she went over, scooped up Gracie on her lap and posed for the picture. I was a little surprised by her comfort in making herself a part of our picture, but I didn't mind. Then, she surprised us by saying, "How about I take you on a tour of my office." I turned around and there was the large title etched above her office doors stating LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR! I had just taken a picture of Catherine Baker Knoll.

We did take a tour of her 100 year old office and had our picture taken in front of the fireplace and original green leather chairs in her inner office with all the former Lieutenant Governors looking down on us. It was a fun surprise in our tour of Harrisburg.

After our visit to the capitol building, we walked along riverfront and Jeff was able to meet up with us. From there, we took them to Hershey and they were able to visit Hershey Chocolate World and see the famous Hershey kiss street lights. We had such a fun time with them and were so glad they could join us in our home and see what we have around us.

By the way, we would love for more of our distant friends and family to come and visit us in Harrisburg. We'd love to give you a tour of the area, too. I can't promise Catherine Baker Knoll, but we'll do our best!

No comments: