Friday, June 10, 2011

Daniel Boone Homestead

I'm all about day trips to historic sites. My parents spoiled me all my years growing up with trips to all kind of places of history on the east coast. My favorite was a summer trip we took to the New England states--but that's a whole 'nother story.



I'm very happy that Joost enjoys history, as well. This past school year, he studied Daniel Boone and enjoyed it very much, so I decided that we should visit the place where he was born (which happens to be just around the corner, well, an hour and 20 minutes away.)


Mom and Dad were able to join us for this Friday day trip. We had a great time.


The Daniel Boone Homestead was wide open for us to explore.  We had a wonderful tour of his home by a very knowledgeable and amiable man who did a great job of including the kids in the lecture and putting up with a 2 year old's curious and wandering hands.


I learned a day late and a dollar short that if you become an Affiliate of the Pennsylvania Heritage Society (through the State Museum or some other Pennsylvania historic sites) you can get into many historic sites around the state.  You might want to check it out if you're a history lover like me.

No comments: